Current:Home > NewsBaylor settles years-long federal lawsuit in sexual assault scandal that rocked Baptist school -AssetTrainer
Baylor settles years-long federal lawsuit in sexual assault scandal that rocked Baptist school
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:11:13
Baylor University has settled a years-long federal lawsuit brought by 15 women who alleged they were sexually assaulted at the nation’s biggest Baptist school, ending the largest case brought in a wide-ranging scandal that led to the ouster of the university president and its football coach, and tainted the school’s reputation.
Notification of the settlement was filed in online court records Monday. The lawsuit was first filed in June 2016.
The lawsuit was one of several that were filed that alleged staff and administrators ignored or stifled reports from women who said they were assaulted on or near campus.
Among the early claims from some women in the lawsuit was that school officials sometimes used the campus conduct code that banned alcohol, drugs and premarital sex to pressure women not to report being attacked. Another previously settled lawsuit alleged Baylor fostered a “hunting ground for sexual predators.”
The terms of the settlement announced Monday were not disclosed.
“We are deeply sorry for anyone connected with the Baylor community who has been harmed by sexual violence. While we can never erase the reprehensible acts of the past, we pray that this agreement will allow these 15 survivors to move forward in a supportive manner,” Baylor University said in a statement.
The scandal erupted in 2015 and 2016 with assault allegations made against football players. The school hired Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton to investigate how it handled those assaults and others.
The law firm’s report determined that under the leadership of school President Ken Starr, Baylor did little to respond to accusations of sexual assault involving football players over several years. It also raised broader questions of how the school responded to sexual assault claims across campus.
Starr, the former prosecutor who led the investigation of the Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky scandal, was removed as president and later left the university. Starr died in 2022.
Also fired was football coach Art Briles, who denied he covered up sexual violence in his program. Briles had led the program to a Big 12 conference championship, but he has not returned to major-college coaching.
Baylor officials have said the school has made sweeping changes to how it addresses sexual assault claims and victims in response to the Pepper Hamilton report. That report has never been fully released publicly, despite efforts by the women suing the school to force it into the open.
Chad Dunn, an attorney for the women who settled Monday, said the lawsuit and scandal went far beyond the problems in the football program that captured early attention.
“Their bravery and strength has created legal precedents that empower others to gain relief from the injuries inflicted by their universities, while also securing safer education environments for future generations,” Dunn said.
“Baylor’s focus of media attention on football tried to misdirect attention from institutional failures of the Baylor administration. Our clients would have none of that,” Dunn said. “Their determination brought the focus on officials in the ivory tower and ‘the Baylor way.’ ”
veryGood! (829)
Related
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- Why Shohei Ohtani will be worth every penny of $700 million contract for Los Angeles Dodgers
- Eagles head of security Dom DiSandro banned from sideline for Sunday's game vs. Cowboys
- Anne Hathaway's Stylist Erin Walsh Reveals Her Foolproof Tips for Holiday Fashion
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- 8 last-minute dishes to make for a holiday party — and ones to avoid
- Thousands demonstrate against antisemitism in Berlin as Germany grapples with a rise in incidents
- Oklahoma City voters consider 1% sales tax to build a $1 billion arena for NBA’s Thunder
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Zimbabwe holds special elections after court rules to remove 9 opposition lawmakers from Parliament
Ranking
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Psst, Reformation’s Winter Sale is Here and It’s Your last Chance to Snag Your Fave Pieces Up to 40% Off
- Heavy fighting in south Gaza as Israel presses ahead with renewed US military and diplomatic support
- What is carbon capture and why does it keep coming up at COP28?
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Eagles security guard DiSandro banned from sideline for Sunday Night Football vs. Cowboys
- Eagles security guard DiSandro banned from sideline for Sunday Night Football vs. Cowboys
- The Dodgers gave Shohei Ohtani $700 million to hit and pitch — but also because he can sell
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Is Selena Gomez dating Benny Blanco? Singer calls producer 'my absolute everything'
Ukraine aid in growing jeopardy as Republicans double down on their demands for border security
The History of Mackenzie Phillips' Rape and Incest Allegations Against Her Father John Phillips
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Army vs. Navy best moments, highlights: Black Knights defeat Midshipmen in wild finish
International bodies reject moves to block Guatemala president-elect from taking office
U.S. announces military drills with Guyana amid dispute over oil-rich region with Venezuela