Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -AssetTrainer
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 02:59:41
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Trump's 'stop
- Black Friday Price in July: Save $195 on a Margaritaville Bali Frozen Concoction Maker
- Environmental Groups File Court Challenge on California Rooftop Solar Policy
- Paris Hilton Celebrates 6 Months With Angel Baby Phoenix in Sweet Message
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- How Dueling PDFs Explain a Fight Over the Future of the Grid
- Country’s Largest Grid Operator Must Process and Connect Backlogged Clean Energy Projects, a New Report Says
- Inexpensive Solar Panels Are Essential for the Energy Transition. Here’s What’s Happening With Prices Right Now
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Black Friday Price in July: Save $195 on a Margaritaville Bali Frozen Concoction Maker
Ranking
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Ohio Environmentalists, Oil Companies Battle State Over Dumping of Fracking Wastewater
- James Hansen Warns of a Short-Term Climate Shock Bringing 2 Degrees of Warming by 2050
- UN Considering Reforms to Limit Influence of Fossil Fuel Industry at Global Climate Talks
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- All the Tragedy That Has Led to Belief in a Kennedy Family Curse
- Inside Lindsay Lohan and Bader Shammas’ Grool Romance As They Welcome Their First Baby
- Ricky Martin’s 14-Year-Old Twins Surprise Him on Stage in Rare Appearance
Recommendation
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
CBS New York Meteorologist Elise Finch Dead at 51
Harry Styles’ 7 New Wax Figures Will Have You Doing a Double Take
Shell Sued Over Air Emissions at Pennsylvania’s New Petrochemical Plant
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
North Texas Suburb Approves New Fracking Zone Near Homes and Schools
Water, Water Everywhere, Yet Local U.S. Planners Are Lowballing Their Estimates
Federal Hydrogen Program Is Cutting Out Local Groups, Threatening Climate Goals, Advocates Say