Current:Home > MySentencing is set for Arizona mother guilty of murder and child abuse in starvation of her son -AssetTrainer
Sentencing is set for Arizona mother guilty of murder and child abuse in starvation of her son
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 23:28:55
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — An Arizona mother who pleaded guilty to murder and child abuse is scheduled to be sentenced Thursday in the death of her 6-year-old son who was kept in a closet and denied food at their Flagstaff apartment.
Elizabeth Archibeque faces a maximum penalty of up to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the March 2020 death of Deshaun Martinez when she goes before Coconino County Superior Court Judge Ted Reed.
Archibeque was charged along with the boy’s father, Anthony Martinez, and grandmother, Ann Martinez, who have pleaded not guilty and are being tried separately on murder and child abuse charges.
An autopsy determined Deshaun Martinez, who weighed just 18 pounds (8.1 kilograms), died of severe starvation. Authorities found him unresponsive after Ann Martinez called 911 on March 2, 2020, and said she thought her grandson was dead. The manner of death later was listed as homicide.
The boy’s parents initially attributed their son’s malnourished state to a medical condition and to ingesting diet or caffeine pills. Eventually, they told police they kept him and his older brother in a closet for 16 hours a day and gave them little to eat. The brother survived.
The boys’ confinement was punishment for stealing food while the parents slept, police said. Their two sisters were found healthy in the apartment where they all lived.
Archibeque reached an agreement with prosecutors earlier this year to plead guilty in the case. The terms of the agreement state that she will not be eligible for probation, and if sentenced to life in prison, she will not be eligible for any kind of parole or work release.
Prosecutors decided early on they wouldn’t pursue the death penalty.
Lawyers for Ann Martinez are scheduled to appear at a case management conference Sept. 18 with her trial currently set to begin in January 2024. Anthony Martinez had been scheduled to go to trial earlier this year, but the trial date was vacated and has not been reset.
veryGood! (64473)
Related
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- New Mexico regulators worry about US plans to ship radioactive waste back from Texas
- Lego head mugshots add to California’s debate on policing and privacy
- 'Pops love you': Young father of 2 killed during fist fight at Louisiana bar
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Francis Scott Key Bridge reconstruction should be paid for by federal government, Biden says
- Case against woman accused in death of adopted young son in Arizona dismissed, but could be refiled
- Kristen Doute's Nipple-Pinching Drama on The Valley Explained
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Who should be the NBA MVP? Making the case for the top 6 candidates
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Of course Aaron Rodgers isn't a VP candidate. Jets QB (and his conspiracies) stay in NFL
- A woman accuses a schoolmate of raping her at age 12. The school system says she is making it up.
- Georgia senators again push conservative aims for schools
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Geoengineering Faces a Wave of Backlash Over Regulatory Gaps and Unknown Risks
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed after Wall Street retreats from all-time highs
- New Mexico regulators worry about US plans to ship radioactive waste back from Texas
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
After a county restricted transgender women in sports, a roller derby league said, ‘No way’
Aerial images, video show aftermath of Baltimore bridge collapse
Yellen says China’s rapid buildout of its green energy industry ‘distorts global prices’
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Who owns the ship that struck the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore?
Lego moves to stop police from using toy's emojis to cover suspects faces on social media
‘Heroes’ scrambled to stop traffic before Baltimore bridge collapsed; construction crew feared dead