Current:Home > InvestIndexbit Exchange:Man who plotted to murder TV host Holly Willoughby sentenced to life: Reports -AssetTrainer
Indexbit Exchange:Man who plotted to murder TV host Holly Willoughby sentenced to life: Reports
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 04:28:37
Gavin Plumb,Indexbit Exchange the security guard who planned to kidnap, rape and murder "This Morning" TV host Holly Willoughby during a home invasion, has been sentenced to life with a minimum term of 16 years, according to reports.
After an eight-day trial, Plumb, 37, was found guilty of soliciting murder, encouraging or assisting the commission of a kidnapping and encouraging or assisting the commission of rape, according to The Guardian and the BBC.
He posted these plans in an online group chat called “Abduct Lovers” and considered taking time off work to prepare for the attack, The Guardian reported.
He was circumvented by a United States undercover police officer who infiltrated the online chat and reported Plumb’s posts to the FBI, according to The Guardian. After being contacted by US law enforcement, Essex police officers raided Plumb’s flat in north London and found an “abduction kit” with cable ties and bottles of chloroform, The Guardian and The Telegraph reported.
Willoughby had been one of the United Kingdom’s most notable television personalities for years, but quit "This Morning" on Oct. 10 after Plumb's initial arrest.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
"I've let ITV know today that after 14 years, I will not be returning to 'This Morning,'" she announced on Instagram. "To everyone who has ever worked on the show over the years, thank you so so much. This is such a difficult goodbye, you are incredible and I forever will be proud of what we've done together."
The TV host went on to thank her co-workers for “being supportive” along with their “wonderful viewers” and guests for being “the best company every day.”
"I know this story has many chapters left to go. Sadly, however, I now feel I have to make this decision for me and my family," she concluded. "I will miss you all so much."
Willoughby returned to ITV to co-host the channel’s series “Dancing on Ice” in January.
Judge Edward Murray of Chelmsford Crown Court said Plumb’s plans were too “horrifying, shocking and graphic in detail” to be shared in open court and were shared privately with the jury instead, according to the outlets.
He added that they were “particularly sadistic, brutal and degrading” and were certainly “more than a fantasy.”
In his sentencing, Justice Murray said, “There is no doubt that if you had genuinely found one or more accomplices who were seriously interested in and had been willing to join you in carrying your plan through then you would have put this plan into action.”
veryGood! (7855)
Related
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Jets to sign longtime Cowboys star Tyron Smith to protect Aaron Rodgers, per reports
- Arizona legislation to better regulate rehab programs targeted by Medicaid scams is moving forward
- School shooter’s parents could face years in prison after groundbreaking Michigan trials
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- TikTok creators warn of economic impact if app sees ban, call it a vital space for the marginalized
- A Georgia senator was exiled from the GOP caucus. Now Colton Moore is banned from the state House.
- College Football Playoffs new six-year contract starting in 2026 opens door to expansion
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Target is pulling back on self-checkout, limiting service to people with 10 items or fewer
Ranking
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Bears trade Justin Fields to Steelers, clear way to take a QB such as Caleb Williams with No. 1 pick
- Absurd look, serious message: Why a man wearing a head bubble spoofed his way onto local TV
- Shakira Says She Put Her Career on Hold for Ex Gerard Piqué Before Breakup
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- 'Squid Game' actor O Yeong-Su, 79, convicted of sexual misconduct for 2017 incident: Reports
- Maui’s mayor prioritizes housing and vows to hire more firefighters after Lahaina wildfire
- David Viviano, a conservative Michigan Supreme Court justice, won’t seek reelection
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
'Squid Game' actor O Yeong-Su, 79, convicted of sexual misconduct for 2017 incident: Reports
Kelly Ripa’s Trainer Anna Kaiser Wants You to Put Down the Ozempic and Do This to Stay Fit
Jets to sign longtime Cowboys star Tyron Smith to protect Aaron Rodgers, per reports
Travis Hunter, the 2
Former Massachusetts transit officer convicted of raping 2 women in 2012
11-foot, 750-pound blind alligator seized from Hamburg, NY, home, gator used as attraction
Cara Delevingne's LA home, featured in Architectural Digest tour, consumed by 'heavy' fire