Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:Standing Rock Leaders Tell Dakota Pipeline Protesters to Leave Protest Camp -AssetTrainer
TradeEdge Exchange:Standing Rock Leaders Tell Dakota Pipeline Protesters to Leave Protest Camp
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 22:56:18
This story was updated Jan. 24,TradeEdge Exchange 2017, to reflect President Trump’s presidential memorandum to advance construction of the Dakota Access pipeline.
After months of largely peaceful protests by thousands of demonstrators from across the country who congregated at a camp near Cannon Ball, N.D., to help bring the Dakota Access pipeline to a halt, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe has asked the pipeline opponents to go home.
The tribe said it plans to continue its action against the pipeline in the courts, but the protest camp has run its course. The protesters have until Jan. 30 to depart the main camp, according to a resolution passed by the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council in Fort Yates on Friday. It also said the tribe may call on federal law enforcement officials to help them remove protesters from all of the camps and to block their re-entry if they haven’t left in 30 days.
“Moving forward, our ultimate objective is best served by our elected officials, navigating strategically through the administrative and legal processes,” the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe said in a statement. “For this reason, we ask the protectors to vacate the camps and head home with our most heartfelt thanks.”
The plea came a day before the political debate was revived by Donald Trump‘s presidential memorandum on Tuesday calling on the pipeline to be built. Opposition leaders said they had not immediately decided whether to retract their call to clear the camp.
“We are prepared to push back on any reckless decision made by this administration,” Dallas Goldtooth, campaign director for the Indigenous Environmental Network, said Tuesday. “If Trump does not pull back from implementing these orders it will only result in more massive mobilization and civil disobedience on a scale never seen [by] a newly seated president of the United States.”
The call to clear the camp had also highlighted concerns about spring flooding—the camp lies in a flood zone expected to be inundated by spring snowmelt—and economic hardship suffered by the tribe due to a highway closure caused by the ongoing protests. Several hundred protesters have remained in the camp through the winter, down from the high of nearly 10,000 in early December.
The Standing Rock tribe won a major victory against the builder of the $3.8 billion pipeline, Energy Transfer Partners, on Dec. 4 when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers called for a more complete environmental analysis. The process could delay construction by a year or more and could involve rerouting the pipeline. It is still unclear what the Trump administration will do.
Following the Army Corps decision, Standing Rock tribal chairman Dave Archambault urged protesters to return home as their opposition shifted to a legal battle and as potentially life-threatening winter storms and sub-zero temperatures set in. The region has since been hit with record snowfalls, increasing the probability that Oceti Sakowin, the main protest camp which sits on a floodplain near the Missouri River, will be underwater as early as March.
Residents of Cannon Ball, the district of the Standing Rock reservation closest to Oceti Sakowin, passed a resolution last week opposing the establishment of any new winter camp within their district. Residents expressed frustration over a highway closure near the camp that significantly increased the driving time to Bismarck, where many residents work, shop and receive medical care. Residents also expressed concern over the Cannon Ball gym, which has been used as an emergency shelter for pipeline opponents. The community uses the gym for sporting events, meetings and funerals, and it is in need of cleaning and repair.
Archambault continued to press the case against the pipeline speaking alongside former Vice President Al Gore and Amy Goodman, a journalist from Democracy Now, at the Sundance Film Festival last Sunday.
When asked about the Dakota Access and Keystone XL pipelines at a press briefing on Monday, Sean Spicer, Trump’s press secretary, said Trump may attempt to overrule the Army Corp’s decision to halt the pipeline. “I don’t want to get in front of the president’s executive actions,” he said, but the president wants to “maximize our use of natural resources.”
veryGood! (995)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Tyreek Hill: I could have 'been better' during police interaction before detainment
- Madison LeCroy Says Your Makeup Will Last Until Dawn With This Setting Spray, Even if You Jump in a Lake
- Georgia Republican leader seeks changes after school shooting, but Democrats want more
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Judge restores voting rights for 4 tangled in Tennessee gun rights mandate but uncertainty remains
- Arizona’s 2-page ballots could make for long lines on Election Day
- Pair of rare Amur tiger cubs debuting at Minnesota Zoo are raising hopes for the endangered species
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Ex-Indiana basketball player accuses former team doctor of conducting inappropriate exams
Ranking
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Aubrey Plaza, Stevie Nicks, more follow Taylor Swift in endorsements and urging people to vote
- 'Fine Taylor...you win': Elon Musk reacts to Taylor Swift's endorsement for Harris-Walz
- When does 'The Golden Bachelorette' start? Premiere date, cast, what to know about Joan Vassos
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Orlando Bloom Adorably Introduces Katy Perry by Her Birth Name Before Love-Filled MTV VMAs Speech
- Patrick Mahomes Weighs in on Family's Outlook on Politics After Donald Trump Shouts Out Brittany Mahomes
- Hidden photo of couple's desperate reunion after 9/11 unearthed after two decades
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Netflix teases first look at 'Bridgerton' Season 4, introduces leading lady
DWTS Alum Lindsay Arnold Speaks Out on Secret Lives of Mormon Wives as a Mormon Herself
A Colorado man is charged with arson in a wildfire that destroyed 26 homes
South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
Danity Kane’s Dawn Richard Accuses Sean Diddy Combs of Sexual Assault in New Lawsuit
4-year-old child drowns after wandering from home in Mississippi
2024 MTV VMAs: See Taylor Swift, Sabrina Carpenter and More at the After-Parties