Current:Home > ContactRFK Jr.'s name to remain on presidential ballot in North Carolina -AssetTrainer
RFK Jr.'s name to remain on presidential ballot in North Carolina
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-06 22:41:54
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina’s elections board refused on Thursday to remove Robert F. Kennedy Jr. from the state’s presidential ballot, with a majority agreeing it was too late in the process to accept the withdrawal.
The board’s three Democratic members rejected the request made by the recently certified We The People party of North Carolina on Wednesday to remove the environmentalist and his running mate, Nicole Shanahan, from the party’s ballot line.
On Friday, Kennedy suspended his campaign and endorsed Republican Donald Trump. He has since sought to withdraw his name from the ballot in states where the presidential race is expected to be close, including North Carolina. State board officials said that they had previously received a request signed by Kennedy to withdraw, but since he was the nominee of the party — rather that an independent candidate — it was the job of We The People to formally seek the removal.
A majority of state board members agreed making the change would be impractical given that state law directs the first absentee ballots for the Nov. 5 elections be mailed to requesters starting Sept. 6. North Carolina is the first state in the nation to send fall election ballots, board Executive Director Karen Brinson Bell said.
By late Thursday, 67 of the state’s 100 counties will have received their printed absentee-by-mail ballots, Brinson Bell said. The chief printing vendor for the majority of the state’s counties has printed over 1.7 million ballots. Ballot replacement and mail processing would take roughly two weeks, and the reprinting would cost counties using this vendor alone several hundred thousand dollars combined, she added.
“When we talk about the printing a ballot we are not talking about ... pressing ‘copy’ on a Xerox machine. This is a much more complex and layered process,” Brinson Bell told the board.
The two Republican members on the board who backed Kennedy’s removal suggested the state could have more time and flexibility to generate new ballots.
“I think we’ve got the time and the means to remove these candidates from the ballot if we exercise our discretion to do so,” Republican member Kevin Lewis said.
State election officials said We The People’s circumstances didn’t fit neatly within North Carolina law but that there was a rule saying the board may determine whether it’s practical to have the ballots reprinted.
Board Chair Alan Hirsch, a Democrat, called the decision not to remove Kennedy “the fairest outcome under these circumstances.”
Thursday’s action caps a summer in which the board wrestled with Kennedy’s attempt to get on the ballot in the nation’s ninth largest state. We The People collected signatures from registered voters to become an official party that could then nominate Kennedy as its presidential candidate. Qualifying as an independent candidate would have required six times as many signatures.
The state Democratic Party unsuccessfully fought We The People’s certification request before the board and later in state court. Even as the board voted 4-1 last month to make We The People an official party, Hirsch called We The People’s effort “a subterfuge” and suggested it was ripe for a legal challenge.
Democrat Siobhan O’Duffy Millen, the lone member voting against certification last month, said the withdrawal request affirms her view that “this whole episode has been a farce, and I feel bad for anyone who’s been deceived.”
veryGood! (42)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- UN calls for more fairness for developing nations at a G77 summit in Cuba
- U.S. ambassador to Russia visits jailed WSJ reporter Evan Gershkovich
- What’s behind the surge in migrant arrivals to Italy?
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Ohio man suspected of murder shot by Georgia man defending family during home invasion
- Hurricane Lee livestreams: Watch live webcams on Cape Cod as storm approaches New England
- North Korea’s Kim Jong Un inspects Russian bombers and a warship on a visit to Russia’s Far East
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Jeezy Files for Divorce From Jeannie Mai After 2 Years of Marriage
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Outrage boils in Seattle and in India over death of a student and an officer’s callous remarks
- Lil Guy, a Florida alligator missing his top jaw, rescued after finding online fame
- EV battery plant workers fight for better rights, pay
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Arizona state trooper rescues baby burro after its mother was run over by a car
- Judge temporarily halts trial in New York's fraud lawsuit against Trump
- Spanish judge hears allegations of Franco-era police torture in a case rights groups say is a 1st
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
TikTok is hit with $368 million fine under Europe’s strict data privacy rules
Kansas cancels its fall turkey hunting season amid declining populations in pockets of the US
Biden says striking UAW workers deserve fair share of the benefits they help create for automakers
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Special counsel Jack Smith argues Judge Tanya Chutkan shouldn't recuse herself in Trump case
Video appears to show Rep. Lauren Boebert vaping at ‘Beetlejuice’ show before she was ejected
Steve Harvey Defends Wife Marjorie Against Claims She Broke Up His Prior Marriage